When you join our staff, you'll have lots of opportunities to serve those in need. We will try our best to match you with work that is both needed by the local community and meaningful to you. You could be doing any of the following:
- Working in our transitional housing program, helping guests to connect with community and government services for which they qualify, acclimating them to the area, teaching guests how to use public transportation, registering children in school, finding employment, and finding housing.
- Cooking and serving hot lunches twice a week (to whoever knocks on our door).
- Distributing free groceries at our weekly Grocery Distribution.
- Teaching ESL classes or taking guests to local classes (we also provide conversational "classes" where you simply conduct conversations in English).
- Helping with our Christmas Gift Program by collecting gifts from local parishes, community organizations, and individuals and distributing them to local families at our yearly event.
- Organizing cultural and religious events -- feast days, holidays, memorial services, Dia de los Muertos, Las Posadas, Via Cruces, and others.
Interested? Download and fill out an application form here.
Obrero Católico de Oakland
Oakland Catholic Worker